Whole Wheat Bread Using Sponge Method
Recipe based on an adaption of the sponge recipe in Tassajara Bread Book
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/3 tbsp yeast
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 cups wheat flour
Making the Sponge
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add honey then flour. Mix until very smooth
- Let sponge rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. 45 to 70 minutes.
Making the Bread
- Add oil and salt to sponge, then add flour until the dough reached the right consistency.
- Knead dough well.
- Put dough in greased bowl. Cover with damp towel. Allow to rise till double, 45 – 70 minutes.
- Punch dough down and allow to rise again, 45 – 70 minutes.
- Separate dough into 2 balls. Form into loaves. Place in well greased bread pans. Let rise till double.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake loaves for 45 minutes. Tops should be brown, sides and bottoms should be golden brown and loaf with go "thump" when you tap the bottom